Lake Effect is a subscription-based Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS) cloud that provides root level access to virtual servers and storage on demand. The term "cloud" means many different things to many different people. UB's Research cloud, affectionately known as Lake Effect, was put into service to provide infrastructure CCR wasn't previously able to provide to it's users. CCR's primary role is to provide high performance computing and high end visualization to UB's researchers and collaborators. We are now able to assist researchers by providing servers for them to test software and databases, run websites for research projects, and a slew of other use cases that will work to benefit your research needs. Our cloud is 100% compatible with Amazon's Web Services (AWS) to allow our users to go between the two services.
Features of Lake Effect:
1. Deploy virtual servers in minutes
2. Linux and Windows operating systems are supported. NOTE: Users will need to contact CCR Help for assistance with Windows licensing
3. Allocate persistent disk storage in increments of 1GB, for up to 1TB/virtual disk
4. 10Gbit Ethernet interconnect throughout the cloud infrastructure and to the campus backbone for fast network access. There is no charge for network traffic.
5. CPU cores and RAM are not oversubscribed. An Intel Xeon processor core is behind each core on the virtual server for fast and consistent performance.
6. Control access to your virtual servers by port numbers and IP addresses for maximum flexibility and security
7. Lake Effect uses the HPE Helion Eucalyptus open source cloud computing platform, with an Amazon Web Services (AWS) compatible API. You can seamlessly scale to AWS if your research, education, or outreach application outgrows our capacity.
Use Cases of the Research Cloud:
- Academic courses (teach cloud computing, computer science, or HPC)
- Big data analytics (Hadoop, databases)
- Bursting to Amazon Web Services
- MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (MDCS)
- Web portals for science gateways and research websites
- Testing new software before purchasing permanent hardware
- High throughput computing (don't want to wait in the queue? Pay for immediate access to nodes)
- Testing and development of software or products
- What else can you dream up?
Please note that we can only allow academic and research users to utilize the Lake Effect cloud at this time. Industry partners and non-academic users should utilize commercial cloud resources such as Amazon web services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and similar services.